If you’re anything like me, you went into the holiday season with a game plan. Outside of Christmas Eve, Christmas, and a few other notable days, you were going to keep your nutrition in check. In fact, you promised yourself you wouldn’t fall off the wagon this year. But you know what they say: no plan survives contact with the enemy. In this case, the enemy was my mom’s cooking.
Here’s the thing: it’s fine. Nothing that happened to your weight or body composition or performance won’t be fixed by simply dialing it back in.
But this is what I don’t mean by dialing it back in:
⚡️ Restricting your calories for the foreseeable future
⚡️ Doing a weird juice cleanse
⚡️ Punishing yourself with a really hard workout or a stupid amount of cardio
⚡️ Taking a fat burner pill or doing a wrap or hopping on some fad diet or whatever other weird thing people do these days to lose drop some lbs.
HERE’S HOW TO GET YOUR S**T TOGETHER AFTER THE HOLIDAYS:
⚡️ Don’t bring home leftovers
Listen, no one loves cold hor d’oeuvres for breakfast more than me but if you’re trying to get a fresh start on your nutrition, you’re better off not even taking them home. So, if you’re hitting up a New Year’s Eve party tomorrow, make a point not to leave with a doggie bag.
⚡️ Create an action plan and intentions
Sit down and think about your week. Are you back to work on January 2nd? Great! Let’s use January 1st to prepare ourselves for a successful week. Write a grocery list, shop, and meal prep so you’re all set to get back on track come Tuesday. Think you’ll be too tired or hungover to manage? Then, get it done today or tomorrow morning. Figure out what makes the most sense for you and your schedule and just get it done.
⚡️ Don’t make meal prep a thing…
Meal prep can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it, but there’s no denying that being prepared with food that works towards your goals is a major precursor to being able to get back into the swing of things.
- If you’re down for some quick meal prep – use the Rule of 2s
- If you love to cook and want to make some bomb, healthy meals – use Skinnytaste.com
- If you’re too lazy to meal prep – do a ‘no prep meal prep’
- If you can’t get to a grocery store – use grocery delivery services like Amazon Fresh
- If you are traveling and won’t have time to meal prep – use meal delivery services like Kettlebell Kitchen or Trifecta
⚡️ Skip the gimmicks
Feeling a little heavy? Gut health not up to par? Skip the detox, laxatives, or weird tea. The body is actually very good at detoxing itself but you can give it a little support by:
- Catching up on some sleep.
- Drinking at least half your bodyweight in ounces of water.
- Eat lots of veggies, aiming for 25g+ of fiber if you’re a girl, and 35g+ if you’re a guy.
- Get in a workout. If you’re not up for a workout, try to get in 10k steps a day to just get your body moving.
Case in point: our bodies are pretty awesome at dealing with all the crap we put it through. So, have a bad week (or two) with your nutrition and lifestyle choices? Not a big deal. Just give your body what it needs to swing things back into equilibrium and you’ll be feeling like your best self again sooner than you think.
Have questions about the above or want to work with a coach to reach your goals? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!